“Like when the aroma leaves you wagging your tongue like a dog, only for the actual dish to taste like paper”ECHATAH. It is heartbreaking to see artists blessed with enormous talent, promising so much deliver so little. The List is created Based on Writers Opinion, This does Not in any way reflect The Naijaloaded Team Editorial Opinion. See List Below;
These are five artists Struggling to stay abreast in today’s competitive industry.
1) MAY D (Mr May D) -: Akinmayorkun Awodunmila mainly know as May D is the first recording artiste to be signed under the Square Records Label 2011/2012. May D became a force to reckon with in the music industry, following his collaboration with the famous twins P-SQUARE(Peter and Paul okoye). He featured along side Akon on P-Square’s “chop my money”, dropped hit songs “soundtrack” and “Ile ijo”. In August 2012 due to irreconcilable differences May D was let off from Square Records. After MayD left Square Records he made a swift move to launch is own record label known as ” Confam entertainment “.
May 10th 2013 Mr May D dropped his debut album which was titled “Chapter One” a 20 track album which house’s songs like “Gat Me High, Show Me Ur Style, Mother, Somany Tinz, Jekajo, No Body ft Tuface, Kigbe ft. K-Switch & Olamide, Get Down, Ur Eyes ft. Davido, Use me and others”. After this album we rarely ever see him. He may make a comeback with another hit song, but for now MayD’s musical fortunes have gone down.
2) CHIDINMA :- Chidinma Ekile, popularly known by her stage name Chidinma, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording artist, stage performer, and brand ambassador for MTN Nigeria.In 2010, she rose to stardom after winning the third season of MTN’s Project Fame West Africa, a reality-singing competition series, In 2011, she released her first single “Jankoliko”, featuring Sound Sultan. Her self-titled debut studio album, was released through the music platform Spinlet.
It was supported by the singles “Jankoliko”, “Carry You Go”, “Kedike”, and “Run Dia Mouth”. Chidinma won Best Female West African Act at the 2012 kora awards she was also nominated for so many awards in year 2013. She was involved in a s*x tape scandal in November 2013…. She dropped “oh baby” in 2014 ever since then she as not been consistent.later in March 2016 she parted ways with Clarence Peter’s record label “CAPITAL”. The big question everyone is asking is if chidinma has slowly sliped into oblivion.
3) D’PRINCE -: Charles Enebeli as many may call him D’PRINCE is a Nigerian Afro Pop Singer, Songwriter currently signed to his brother record label Mavin. D’rince music carrier started in 2005 when he joined Don jazzy and D’banj at Mo’ hits Records. November 2009, D’Prince released his single titled “Omoba” and was relaunched in 2010. In year 2012 he dropped his debut album FRENZY under Mo’hits records, same 2012 D’PRINCE moved to Mavin Records after the dissolution of Mo’ Hits Records.
Mavin Records released a compilation album titled Solar Plexus in 2012 and D’PRINCE was part of that project. It included hit singles, “Take Banana” and “Amarachi” which was the lead single…. Ever since then he has gone off the radar until recently he resurfaces with ” Show me” ft small doctor and “World Wide” prod by don jazzy two wack songs. Will I be right if I say D’PRINCE is about to phase out of the Nigerian music industry.
4) NAETO C -: Naetochukwu Chikwe also known as The ‘P’, Super C, the only MC with the MIC. He changed the music scene with his poetic rap album “You Know My P,” in 2008. He won MTV Africa Music Awards 2008 – Best New Musician 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards – Video Of The Year, MTV Africa Music Awards 2009 – Best New Artist.
He dropped “Super C Season” and was nominated in 2012 The Headies – Artiste of the Year and Headies – Album of the Year (Super C Season ). However, some years after, Naeto C has not made any hit nor has he come anywhere near making progress in reviving his music career.
5) LYNXX -: Chukie Edozien, better known by his stage name Lynxxx, in 2009 came into the music scene with his synthesising hit single “Change your Parade” featuring IKON. In December 2010 Lynxxx released his debut album “This Is Lynxxx”. The album features a combination of musical genres, he calls it “Jollof Musik”. That same year, Lynxxx became the first Nigerian artist to be endorsed by Pepsi. Year 2012 he came out with the hit song “Fine Lady” featuring Wizkid and “Eziokwu” featuring Ikechukwu, IllBliss, Phyno. Since then he has not been able to drop another HIT ” gat me wondering what happened to the pot of the jollof music” .
This artists have not been able to live up to our expectations for reasons only know to this artist.
Written by OLAKUNLE TEMITO on September 7, 2016.
NOTE: If by any chance you do not agree with the selection picks, Feel free to comment!!