THE Nigerian Army has denied reports that two soldiers were killed during the military operation in Omuawa in Ikerre LGA of Rivers State where five militants were shot dead.
Spokesman, 2nd Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Port Harcourt, Captain Eli Lazarus, explained that no soldier was killed during Thursday’s operation, which he described as successful.
It will be recalled that the militants, who had been terrorising the people of the area, were confronted by soldiers before five hoodlums were gunned down.
About 23 suspects were said to have been arrested while several arms and ammunition were recovered during the operation that lasted for about 30 minutes.
But a source in the community had said that two soldiers lost their lives during an exchange of fire with the militants.
However, Lazarus, who spoke in a telephone interview with The PUNCH on Sunday, maintained that there was no casualty on the side of the Nigerian Army.
He pointed out that some an officer and two soldiers, who were involved in an accident sustained minor injuries, and added that their situation had nothing to do with last Thursday’s operation.
“No soldier was injured during last Thursday’s operation as the Nigerian Army embarked on a successful operation. Five militants, who engaged our men in a shootout were killed.
“Maybe, some people may have may have thought that an officer and two soldiers, who were involved in a road accident, were injured during the operation.